Monday, November 4, 2013

Month of Gratitude - Day 4

Today I am grateful for my Grandma Yoak (Mom's mom). She passed away 3 days after her 91st birthday and today was her funeral. It was bittersweet reminiscing about all our memories of her. She is an absolutely incredible woman. I'm overwhelmed by the thought of trying to share all the reasons why she was so inspiring.

I
She worked hard her whole life. She got more education than was expected for women in her time. She worked in a variety of fields and even served in the army during WWII where she met my Grandpa. She raised her children faithfully in the gospel and was completely committed to their growth and education. She raised a granddaughter while in her 70's and did so with 100% commitment. She served others willingly until the day that she died. She never complained about her trials, and she had plenty. Her life was filled with challenges, but she always just did what was needed, no matter how hard.

She loved her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren and found ways to give service to them until her very last days. Each great-grandchild has a beautiful handcrafted baby blanket, including my sweet angel that was only wrapped in hers for a few hours.

This barely scratches the surface on why she is such an amazing example to me.

Betty Yoak


No comments: