Thursday, April 15, 2010

$xxx.xx and 3 hours later...

This is the story of a very late and very expensive dinner. I'm a little ashamed to tell it, but what can I say? Being nearly ready to pop makes me a bit impulsive in my behaviors.

This afternoon was like any regular afternoon. I got home from work around 4:30 after a short visit to the OB (on a completely unrelated note, I'm dilated to 2 already, doesn't really mean anything, but nice to know I'm getting a little closer to being done). I had been thinking about cheeseburgers for dinner pretty much all day, and I had some ground beef in the fridge along with tomatoes, lettuce, buns and even avocados! YUM!

There is a problem with this craving, I have been wanting burgers for several days now, but since we have a deck Tyler feels that we shouldn't have burgers until we can grill them on our very own grill... another problem, the grill that we "have to have" is rather expensive. This is not an example of greediness, I promise. It's just that we have a natural gas line that is almost sticking right out of the back of our house, and with that option it just doesn't make sense to spend money on a grill if we won't be able to hook it up to that and in the long run have significant savings on fuel for the grill.

Back to the story... I got home wanting a home grilled cheeseburger and impulsivity took over. I got out of the car, walked up to Tyler and said, honey lets go get your grill, I want burgers TONIGHT! Tyler wasn't going to argue with that, so off we went to Home Depot where we quickly found the correct grill (happily on a bit of a sale right now) found an attendant and had them bring one out for us. This is where we made the big mistake of the night. The salesman offered to have one built for us to take home. A fully constructed one won't fit in the back of the 4-runner so we figured, it can't be that hard, lets just get it in the box and take it home. WRONG! We should have quickly driven over to my dad's shop, borrowed the truck and come back to pick up the fully assembled grill. I should mention that by now it is about 5:30, still not a very late dinner.

We arrive home with the grill and Tyler gets to work on putting it together. Not a difficult task... but far more time consuming than we had anticipated. There was another minor detail that needed to be worked out: until we get the hook up run from our gas line we still need a propane tank, and don't have one. Thanks to Candice and Ryan for helping us out on that one! Finally at about 7:15 the grill is assembled, and we set off to get some propane in the tank (or exchange the tank as it turned out). This took a little longer than expected, but we were still excited to grill our first burgers on the grill that night. We got home around 7:45 with the full tank and Tyler quickly set to work cooking the burgers while I prepped all of the toppings. Finally at just a few minutes after 8:00 we sat down for our delicious burgers. Jack had gotten pretty cranky by this point but was adorable as he took great big bites of his "cheese booger."

1 comment:

The Hoveys said...

I love this story! It seriously made my day.