Monday, April 5, 2010

Remembering Christina

Christina Lynn (Treasure) Hamilton, my oldest sister, passed away on Friday. She was 36 years old.

I don't really want to talk about that so much right now, instead I want to talk about how incredibly powerful and touching President Monson's talk at the end of the Sunday morning session of conference was. I know that many others in the church have recently experienced the loss of a loved one, but I felt that the talk was directed to me and my family. I have never wondered if I would see my family after death, I always knew the answer to Job's question: if a man dies will he live again? However, I have never had a close family member die and had my personal testimony of this principle tested. His message was truly a tender mercy of the Lord for me at a time that I have been unsure how to feel.

I was not very close to my sister Christina, especially in recent years. She made choices as a teenager that lead her down a road of destruction in her early adulthood. I was angry at her for many years because of some of the outcomes of her choices, but more recently I have just felt sad for her. When I was a young child I spent most of my time with my Christina. She was like a second mother to me. She loved to take me places and take care of me. My siblings all say she spoiled me, but I just remember that I always loved spending time with her. I remember her buying me treats, taking me shopping, teaching me how to make my bed and do the dishes. But the memory of my sister that sadly sticks in my head is the time I caught her smoking outside my dad's work with several of his coworkers. From then on I have few really positive memories of my sister. I love my sister. I miss her, I have missed her since long before she died. At this point I am less sad for my own loss than I am for how her life ended up. I'm sad that she spent most of her life unhappy. I'm sad that she never had the joy of the gospel in her life as a young mother as I do now. I ache knowing that her choices lead her to loneliness.

President Monson's talk helped me feel less of this. Christina is now in the Spirit world, her standing there I don't know, but I know she will be resurrected. I know that in her youth she was taught correct principles that my parents have been promised she will return to. While I am still sad, I feel comforted. Christina is ok; I will see her again.

All of the messages from conference were timely and uplifting. I feel renewed in my efforts to strengthen my family and live a Christ centered life.

4 comments:

Spencer and Anna said...

I'm sad to hear this, Abby. I'll be praying for you and your family. I'm glad you could be strengthened by conference.

The Hoveys said...

I'm so sorry, Abby! I hope you and yours are holding up well and we will keep you in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Dinah Laursen. (Charles Hamilton's sister)Im so very sry for your loss. I knew Christy b/c she was my sister-in-law. She married my brother and had three wonderful children. After our mother passed away we lost all contact with Charles and Christy. I stumbled upon the obit. today and was caught well off guard. I have been looking for them for 11 years now. Trying to stay in contact with the family so our kids could still know each other. Now that I have found this post im even more so looking to contact my brother or Ashley. Our father is terminally ill and I would like to contact them and fill them in on the details. If you could please some how let me know the kids are ok and point me in the right direction to find Ashley or Charles i would greatly appreciate it. contact information is boopsie68di@gmail.com or my home phone number is 910-221-4528

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear of Christy's passing. I was really shocked to hear of this. My sister Dinah is the one that informed me of this. I am Charles' brother. I haven't heard from them since they left Oklahoma to move back to Utah. I truely hope that the kids are doing well. I am an Uncle that they probably have no memory of. I would appreciate any information you could give me. You can email me at painted_horserider@yahoo.com.

Sincerely, Darin Hamilton